As machines get smarter, we have the opportunity to use the data they can deliver to significantly improve our businesses and our bottom lines. Telematics—wireless technology that transmits information—has been used on many Cat® machines for some time now. But as with anything, it can take time to harness the full benefits Cat telematics offer.
Having telematics on your rented construction equipment allows you to:
· Track stolen equipment. This increases your peace of mind and keeps insurance costs as low as possible. With some machines, you can set limits on when the equipment can be operated to prevent theft.
· Collect data on operator behaviour. Tracking how your operators behave on the job is a key way to improve safety and prevent accidents. Since you’ll know what’s happening as it happens or soon after, you’ll have the opportunity to correct behaviours immediately so they don’t become habits.
· Get your machines serviced at the right time. Telematics data supports optimal maintenance scheduling to reduce downtime events and extend component life, saving you money on unnecessary callouts, and replacing components when the data says they are needed. By coupling this with our trained technicians, we offer a full preventative maintenance solution to give you peace of mind.
· Determine how many hours each piece of equipment has been used and if there are any issues that need to be addressed. This allows you to prevent accidents while helping ensure minimal downtime—all of which will help you and your clients stay on schedule and budget.
· Improve the efficiency of your fleet while saving money. Depending on your needs, you can monitor fuel efficiency, engine output, utilization, productivity, and many other things—all from your phone or laptop. Having this information at your fingertips allows you to make changes that improve efficiency and deliver cost-savings.
Of course, having Cat telematics is only valuable if you use the data. This is where many business owners take awhile to dive in. That’s why we have subject matter experts available to review your data, helping you reduce your total cost of ownership and get optimal maintenance scheduling.
And it should be noted that telematics data is not limited to Cat machines. You can access the power of technology for your non-Cat equipment as well.
Renting a machine with telematics is a great way to start using technology and testing how it can benefit your business. Our experts will work closely with you to ensure the telematics on your rental equipment delivers the information needed and that you know how to use it to your advantage.
Meet Cat Digital Services
Cat telematics give you the choice of having your machine connect to the cell network or the satellite network—important if a lot of your work is in remote parts of Canada. Through the Internet, you’re linked to your equipment no matter where you are in the world.
With telematics, you can generate checklists for maintenance tasks and get personalized reports that provide key insights into your fleet’s health. You’ll know where, when, and how each of your machines is being used and you’ll have the info you need to tell you if you should get rid of machines that aren’t paying off.
There are significant benefits to exploring the world of Cat telematics. After all, those who don’t evolve get left behind and technology is evolving at a faster rate than ever before. Talk to us today!
Finning is the world's largest Caterpillar dealer, selling, renting and providing parts and service for equipment and engines to customers across diverse industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry and a wide range of power systems applications. We operate in Western Canada, South Amera, and UK and Ireland.